The installations at the Knesebeck Shaft are part of the "Hilfe Gottes" mine in Bad Grund, which was the last ore mine in operation in the Upper Harz and closed down in 1992.
The Knesebeck Shaft Mining Museum exhibits the technical development of the site, a protected historical monument, from the middle of the 19th century to the end of operations. Here, visitors will find machinery that was used by the mine until it closed on 31st March 1992. Operations underground and the way the miners worked are also vividly presented.
Important examples of mining technology from the period include the historic hoisting machine and a large electric compressor (both from 1923). There are also two restored "wheel chambers", in which water wheels up to 12 m in diameter provided water power for the shaft operations from 1855 to 1900.